Monday, March 9, 2015

Grateful Heart: Gender doesn't define you.

Yesterday as I was taking Mason to use the potty at an event that was all men, except myself and Eleanor, Mason realized there was no soap in the tiny restroom. Since we are sticklers for hand washing, I knew he would lose his child mind if I tried to explain that it was okay in this instance not to wash his hands, especially because he had been playing outside and his hands were naturally filthy. I quickly scanned the scene and noticed some Dawn dish soap. I grabbed it off the counter, squirted some of the bubbly blue liquid into his hands and turned to shut the door again. As I turned around to replace the soap, a man came in to use the restroom and as soon as he saw me he said "oh, is she cleaning it?"
Now I understand it probably looked strange me exiting a bathroom with Dawn dish soap, but who uses Dawn to clean a restroom and why on earth did he address all of the men in the room and not me, the "she" he was referring to who was standing right in front of him. This immediately hit the sore spot in my soul that is "the role of a woman".
I just looked at him for a moment, waiting for him to laugh or give me a just kidding, or acknowledge ME at all, but he stood there just staring, so I spoke directly to him "um, nope, I'm just taking my son to the bathroom." 
I hope he treats his wife with more respect.


Yesterday, was fittingly, Women's Sunday at Church. 
I, along with the other women in my Church were blessed to lead an entire service. 
I love being a part of a church where women can not only participate in missions, but we can LEAD. We are part of the governing body. We aren't delegated to the kitchens or nurseries. We can be Deacons, Elders, and Ministers. 


I am so grateful to be a woman. I am so grateful to have such beautiful and inspiring women in my life.

I am also so grateful to be able to raise my son to be respectful and understanding that ANYONE can do ANYTHING. We are all different. We all have different qualities, abilities and talents and that is what makes us beautiful. I am grateful to teach him to be respectful of everyone. I am grateful to teach him to be polite, use his manners, and to be kind to every person he meets. I am grateful to teach him that he can be smart and handsome and successful and he can do it with respect and kindness.


I am grateful to teach my daughter that while being a mom was my career choice, she is more than capable of doing ANYTHING in her life, just as I am capable. She can be smart AND beautiful and she should never be ashamed of either. She can be an astronaut or an engineer, a fashion designer or a surgeon. There is no limit for her.


I am grateful to teach my children that gender does not define you.
"There is no longer Jew, nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male or female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Grateful Heart w/ Ember Grey

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by and reading Felecia!
      It is really important to me to instill respect and kindness in my Littles hearts :)
      Hope you have a great day!

      Delete
    3. I would like to apologize for my rant, reading your post early in the morning after just waking up I misunderstood the meaning of what you were aiming at. I hope you have a great week. It's awesome how you handled the man you encountered while taking your son to the bathroom. :)

      Delete
    4. No worries! I totally understand! I really appreciate all feedback :)
      Have a wonderful week lady!

      Delete
  2. Megggggggggg!!!!! First off - You're way better than me. I would've given that piss ant of a man a piece of my mind. Secondly - yes, yes, and more yes! ESPECIALLY in the fact that yes, women CAN be deacons. Women CAN lead worship. Women CAN lead ministry groups. God placed us ALL here for a reason - to first love Him, then others. And to bring glory to His name. Doesn't matter if you're male, female, black, white, or polka dots. Happy Monday love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I was just too stunned to react in time!
      Love you sista!!

      Delete
  3. WOW. I mean, it's one thing for him to think that maybe you were cleaning (still though, wow) but to not even address you directly?! .... I'm kind of speechless right now. You said it so well in this post- what a blessing to be in the company of other women, but also men, who see hearts and minds over gender and 'traditional' roles. Your son will grow up to know this too, as well as your daughter. You're a great mom, Meg but even more- you're a great person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, I just love you! Thank you, thank you, thank you for being a wonderful friend and example.

      Delete
  4. this is beautiful and I couldn't agree more ;) i loved how you wrote that she can smart and beautiful and to never be ashamed of either- you are such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH YES!! This is amazing! I love this. I also appreciate the detail of who cleans a bathroom with dish soap? I'm worried about the state of this man's bathroom...

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!