Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Crockpot Ropa Vieja

The Hump Day Blog Hop
Today is gorgeous. It stormed last night, so there is a cool breeze, clouds lingering and the smell of rain everywhere. Mason is off to Bible School and Ellie is still snoozing{thank you middle of the night storms} so I am enjoying my coffee and not melting as I do so. Although with the windows open and the breeze blowing in, so do the smells of the little cafe next door. Hello fried potatoes and biscuits & gravy...

Mason had a rough first day of school. He had trouble listening and following directions and my Grandma said that when it was time to come together and do the group sing at the end of the morning that he just laid on the floor. That sounds just like him. I asked him about it at lunch Monday and he said "Mom, I was just so tired from playing!" Valid reason kid, but you still have to listen. He had a much better day yesterday and I am hoping it continues. Preschool will be so good for him. I don't think I am able to engage him as much as he needs and he gets frustrated. He also had a moment with another little boy who was messing with his coloring paper, so Mason crumpled his up. I asked him what happened and he told me that he was angry that the other boy touched his paper. I can't believe that at barely 3 he is recognizing and vocalizing his emotions. We did have a long talk about using words instead of hands, but still, I was impressed with him. 

Yesterday I finally figured out how to shred with my Ninja! The Cuban Cauliflower Rice I made for dinner was so super easy and wayyyyy less messy than using my box shredder. 


I am so in love with my Ninja. 

The real star of dinner though, was the Ropa Vieja. 
Crockpot Ropa Vieja:
makes a ton..but hello breakfast leftovers.

1.5-2lbs chuck roast
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 (6 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper, to taste

Toss your sliced peppers and onion into the bottom of your crockpot. Cut four deep gashes in your roast and shove your garlic into the pockets. Put your roast on top of your veggies and top with seasonings, bay leaf and capers. Pour in your tomato sauce and tomatoes and set on low for 6-8 hours. 10 minutes before you serve, shred meat with a fork and stir into juices. 

This was fantastic and I will be eating leftovers for lunch in a baked sweet potato. 

There is still time to enter the GIVEAWAY for an ItWorks Body Wrap!
Do it!! These babies are magic!




a Rafflecopter giveaway

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow this sounds dang delish! I'm going to search your blog now for a good, clean recipe to use my cauliflower - I need a creative dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! My very favorite way to eat cauliflower is just roasted with coconut oil and a ton of garlic. I can eat a whole head by myself for lunch. Yummm!

      Delete
  2. That looks super tasty.... Help a sister out.. HOW DOES ONE SHRED WITH A NINJA? Because mine just kind of DOESN'T!

    HELP!!!!

    I love that your son can vocalize emotion at 3. That says a lot about his development and that you do ENGAGE him enough. So important!

    Now, question, does your son eat all the yummy things you make? Sometimes Emry doesn't want to.. he's gotten so much better. Just curious if I was alone here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the whole Ninja system with the attachment for shredding, I just had never figured it out until last night, hahaha!

      Thank you so much! That really means a lot because I am always afraid that I am not doing enough.

      Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. Last night was a winner. He said "You made me a good dinner mom" Cue me melting into a puddle and simultaneously patting myself on the back. But there are definitely times that he won't like what I have made for dinner. I make him taste everything I make though. He is not a fan of peppers or onions unless I slow cook them and mix them into something else.

      Delete
  3. um YUM!!! I would have never thought of all these things!

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!