Monday, May 19, 2014

Sweet Potato and Pepper Hash with Eggs

Ember Grey
I'm going to do a slight bit of complaining on this Grateful Heart Monday{but only for a second! Hang in there!} 
Not eating processed food is a giant pain. It is so much easier to open a package than to actually take the time to food prep. 
That being said, I am 4 days in and while I haven't noticed a big shift in the way I look, I have lost 3 pounds. I took before pictures and a month into non-processed land I will take after pictures to do some quick comparing. So far, the switch is definitely worth it.  
{see, it wasn't that bad!}

Today I am SO thankful for a healthy life and so, so grateful for the opportunity to {hopefully} be an example to, not only my children, but to everyone I meet. If I can lose the weight, anyone can. If I can start running, anyone can. I was the prime example of a sedentary lifestyle, and this Saturday I will be running my first Half-Marathon{y'all are going to get so tired of me talking about this-sorry in advance!}. I want people to know that literally, anything is possible, you just have to want it and work for it. {Does anyone want some wine to go with the cheese I just put out?} 

Speaking of food. 
Sweet Potato and Pepper Hash:

2 Tbsp coconut oil
3 small sweet potatoes, (microwaved to soften and reduce cooking time- you can leave them raw, but your baking time will increase- I am all about fast)cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 peppers of you choice(mine were yellow and orange), chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 pkg of natural chicken breakfast sausage, sliced on the diagonal(8 links)
4 eggs

Melt the coconut oil in a cast iron skillet over med-high heat. Add onions and peppers and sauté until the onions are translucent and the peppers have softened slightly. Add breakfast sausage. Sauté 5 minutes or until sausage begins to caramelize. Add in cooked and cubed sweet potatoes. Sauté for another 2 minutes. Make adorable little nests in the mixture and crack your eggs into them. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper.Pop skillet in a 350 degree oven and bake for 8-10 minutes depending on how you like your eggs. 

Enjoy an insanely delicious treat. 

How was your weekend?! 

All My Love, 
Meg




15 comments:

  1. Hash is one of my FAVORITE FOODS! And this looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic! I ate the leftovers over a big bowl of spring mix greens and that was delicious too!

      Delete
  2. Oh man. Just as I started reading this I said to Christian, "I'm gonna need some breakfast soon!" haha!! This looks so amazing!!! This is really inspiring too. Since we just got back from vacation, we decided we are going to make some major changes in the way we eat. I'm really excited to continue reading your thoughts through this no-processed foods journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, I'm so glad that you had a great vacay!
      Thank you so much!
      This will definitely become a staple for us.

      Delete
  3. You are SO inspirational and I want to hear EVERYTHING about the half-marathon. I've done just one but I wish there was a different name for them. When you train and then complete it, there's nothing "half" feeling about it! :) Great work. I'm really impressed with how the eggs came out so perfectly poached in the "nests." YUMMM!! Great for the glycemic index!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love!!!
      I am so ready for this weekend!
      The hash looked so pretty, I almost didn't want to eat it!!

      Delete
  4. You are an AWESOME inspiration to so many people! Thank you for never quitting or giving up on yourself. It speaks volumes!

    Side note: My stomach is growling profusely at that dish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweets!!!! You are so kind!

      It was the best thing I have ever made.

      Delete
  5. I like hash browns but not this. I'm not big on peppers or anything spicy.

    You're an inspiration and I wish I had the motivation to get out and do something such as running and such.

    http://nightowlventing02.blogspot.com/2014/05/doubt-devotion.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all things spicy!

      Thank you so much!!
      Most nights I sleep in my running gear so as soon as I wake up I am thinking about running, hahaha! It helps get me out there!

      Delete
  6. Oh yum! The only hash I've ever had is "corn beef hash" from a can (lol!) so I just might have to try this. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was definitely better than the canned hash! I do love corned beef though. I bet that would be a delicious protein instead of the sausage!

      Delete
  7. I love anything with sweet potatoes! I may have to try this! Kudos to you for your healthy eating habits. I always feel so much better when I am eating healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOve it--start each day with a heart(even with those I may not heart that much)

    ReplyDelete
  9. stopping by from the link up - I am in your boat, girl! Processed foods are just so much easier but I can really feel my body going "WHAT IS THIS?!" as I get older. I am doing better with cooking, but some days after a long work day I just straight up do not want to ha!

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!