Saturday, May 24, 2014

21 Thoughts From My Half Marathon

I am alive!
I can't believe I just did that! Today was amazing.

Sam came to pick me up at 5:30AM and we headed up to the race. We got there and slipped into our tutu's.
This is post race, but how cute are we??!

We looked around the race site for a while, used the bathrooms before they got too gross and then met with Kim, Susan, and the other awesome ladies. The race started promptly at 7AM. We lined up at the start and I was so nervous. I stuck pretty close to the 2:30 pacer for the first 9 miles, but rounding a corner on mile 9 I torqued my knee somehow and that slowed me down quite a bit. I struggled pretty hard miles 10-13, but I crossed that finish line at 2:35! When I rounded the last corner and saw the crowd I got super choked up and I almost burst into tears. I managed to make it out to my mom, Matt and the Littles before I cried.
I am so glad to have such a great support team!! Sam, Matt, my Mom, they all had such a big part in this accomplishment. I couldn't have done it without them. 
I love this man.

It started to sprinkle as I crossed the finish line and it drizzled for the last 30 minutes we were on site, but that didn't stop us from taking pictures and purchasing some sweet duds. 
The FAB tutu girls.

My Birthday Tervis from my mama, my car sticker from Kim, my amazing sparkly shirt and my GIANT finishers medal. 

Also, my screen printed shorts that I may or may not be wearing right meow.

Post run mom and I headed to Trops and indulged in a Trops Tervis of amaretto sour. Oh man, it was fantastic. We also went by Lucky's Market and I was in organic heaven. I will definitely be making weekly trips to Columbia. Now I am flying solo and icing my bum knee. I am so exhausted, but I am still pumped from this morning. What a great experience!! I can't wait to run my next Go Girl Half!


I will leave you with these gems.

21 Thoughts during my first Half Marathon:

1. The first mile is the hardest.
2. Why did I choose this?
3. Only 12 miles left.
4. Why are they handing me Gu that is harder to open than a bank safe?
5. I am really uncomfortable with this littering.
6. Keep breathing.
7. Only 9 more miles.
8. I can't believe I paid for this.
9. Did I just hear someone holler my name?
10. I wonder if Matt and the Littles made it up here okay.
11. How many more miles??
12. 8 more miles.
13. 7 More miles.
14. You've got to be kidding me, I still have 6 miles.
15. These bicycles are going to run me over.
16. 5 miles left.
17. 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4
18. Seriously, so much littering.
19. 2, for the love of God, 2 left
20. The last mile is the hardest.
and my very favorite thought that popped into my head from the whole 13.1
21.

All My Love, 
Bad Mother Runner Meg



25 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! Have you started thinking about your next one yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am actually thinking about doing one in the Fall! I keep thinking, "why would I want to do that again?!" but I can't help it!

      Delete
  2. Congrats!! That's is so amazing! You are amazing! \\*^______^*//

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you doll!!! It was an experience for sure!

      Delete
  3. Ok the picture of you with the little is so freaking adorable! Mama's Love :) Great job finishing - inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was hesitant about putting it up{hello ugly cry face}, but it was such a sweet moment. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE IT! Good for you. SO PROUD OF YOU!

    ROCK STAR 13.1 MILE RUNNING MAMA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MEG CONGRATS!!!!!!! yayayayy!!!! That pic of you and baby boy is too sweet!

    Annnd in my last half I stuffed the Gu packets in my pants because I was also uncomfortable with the littering hahah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay!!!! I was bawling and he just kept asking for a snack.. hahahahaha!!
      I just felt so bad about it! We were running through neighborhoods and on the Katy Trail and I just kept thinking, "someone is going to have to clean this up!"
      There was one point where I thought, well everyone else is littering, but I had waited too long and the majority of the littering had already happened, so I kept hanging on to it.

      Delete
  6. Awesome Blog! So glad you had an Awesome experience!

    Your Ultramax Friends

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha yup that sounds about how the thoughts went during my first half went lol...Congrats though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few points where I just couldn't believe I was running 13.1 miles for funsies and not because I was being chased or fleeing something, hahah! Thank you!!

      Delete
  8. I am SO proud of you! Yes, I always wonder the, "I paid for this?" GAH! You are so incredible. I get a high just thinking of how you felt at the end. I love that you wore tutus. So cute! I totally love picking out "THE OUTFIT." YAYYY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thank you!! It's so hard to imagine paying for something like that while you are in the middle of running, haha!
      I love tutu's and I am pretty sure if I could get away with it, I would wear one every day. I was so nervous prepping my outfit the night before! There are so many factors you have to consider. Also, I am in Missouri, so the weather in May is a fickle, fickle creature. Luckily, we had just about perfect conditions.
      Thank you so much!!!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you!! My friend made them and they turned out so great!!

      Delete
  10. waaaait wait wait. You got to wear a tutu?!!? I think that could be the motivation I need to do any kind of running, period! Seriously proud of you!!!!! Reading this from you made me tear up! Amazing. And yes, now I'm totally inspired to work up to this. (If nothing more than to brag that I puked after a race and people cheered.) (Oh, wait. That's not how it happened?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tutu was one of my favorite parts!! I will use any excuse to wear a tutu!
      Thank you Emily!! I will never forget the experience and I am totally ready to do it again.
      Hahahah!! Oh yeah, no matter what happens, there will be an entire crowd at the finish line screaming for you. It is fantastic!

      Delete
  11. YAY! That medal is kick butt awesome! I love the shirt and the shorts as well. :) I just did my first half in April and had similar thoughts to you. Except the first mile was the easiest. Ha! Actually the first 5 or so were amazing for me. I think I had too much energy. I kept yelling and clapping back to the crowd. Miles 10-13 sucked hard core. I'm also looking for one to do in the fall just to make sure that this 13.1 mile thing isn't a fluke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen!! There wasn't much of a crowd during my race. It was a lot of trail running. but that's probably a good thing, because I would have done the same thing and totally run out of steam.
      I am thinking of doing one in October for the same reason!

      Delete
  12. Congrats on your first half marathon.. Somehow I missed that there was on in Columbia. I keep looking for local races to sign up for not a fan of going to St. Louis or Kansas City alone to race.
    Found your blog via Runs for Cookies and was suprised and happy to find another blogger in Missouri. I am about an hour South of Jeff City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley! It's so nice to meet you! I also hate driving to STL, KC or SPFD to race alone! I was super pumped to do the Go Girl since it was so close to home. There aren't a whole lot of races in mid Missouri.
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!