Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Wild Rice Pilaf

Since it is finally Facebook official, I feel like I can talk about the most exciting news ever...
My best friend in the whole world since grade school, Katie, is pregnant with a precious baby boy and I could not be more excited for her and Brett{her hubs}!!
She will be a fantastic mama. Congrats Foo Dogg! I love you!
I can't wait to love all over him! Maybe it will break my baby fever...

Yesterday I squeezed a run in while Matt was home for lunch and I managed to miss the weird pop up thunderstorm, including hail, so I was pretty thankful. I am ready for today's run. I wish I had a little more time, but I refuse to use the treadmill unless it is storming, so squeezing in a lunch break run will have to do. It's better than not running at all.
Sheri and I also went on a walk/run at the park last night. It was pretty awesome!

Last night I made a real dinner for the first time in almost a week. We were so busy last week that we weren't home to eat a healthy dinner but maybe twice. I am feeling the effects. {It may be all of the cake and ice cream I have eaten from the Birthday party too..}
I ended up making the best wild rice pilaf. I didn't think to snap a picture, but I am going to share the recipe with you anyway.

Wild Rice Pilaf:
serves 4 at 200 calories per serving

2 tsp coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cup of wild rice mix{I mixed my own with 1/4 cup wild rice and 3/4 cup of brown rice}
2 cups broth of choice{I used miso ginger broth}

Melt coconut oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until soft{2-3 minutes}. Add rice mix and saute for another minute or so, or until the rice looks opaque. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until all of the liquid has absorbed. Let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.

We enjoyed this with lemon peppercorn Tilapia and steamed broccoli.

I hope you all have a great Tuesday!!

All My Love,
Meg





8 comments:

  1. That rice pilaf sounds amazing!

    And I've got to get outside for running... I know it's warm enough... I just need to ACTUALLY DO IT...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm that sounds delish! I think we're getting the fair share of thunderstorms today. Man oh man is it storming here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had Thunderstorms off and on since Saturday. I am really not complaining. Spring rainstorms are my fave!! Except I fear they're making my ant problem worse..

      Delete
  3. That sounds delicious! I picked up lots of fresh red, green, yellow, and orange peppers and squash and zucchini last night on sale at the grocery so I'm going to be cooking for the next week pretty consistently, myself, and can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I desperately need to go grocery shopping. I'm not sure why it sneaks up on me every week. We eat every day, it's not new, but here we are out of milk again. I am planning my menu now!

      Delete
  4. Congrats to your friend! Such an exciting time for her, and you! I love a tasty rice pilaf recipe...will have to try yours the next time we make it :) Found your blog through Kelly @ Southern Komfort, excited to follow!

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!