Thursday, April 3, 2014

insecurities and internet rudeness

The Grits Blog
On this lovely Little Friday with Ashley and Kelly, I am swamped with garage sale junk. I have 8 totes of baby clothes, a tote of maternity clothes, baby and toddler toys, plus weird odds and ends, all hanging out in my living room giving me anxiety. Not to mention the 2 travel systems, high chair, 2 swings and a couple of other big items still at my parents house. These would all be at my house if it weren't for the thunderstorms we have had for the last two days. 6 inches of rain is not encouraging for moving big items out of and into garages. Hopefully picking them up tomorrow will give me enough time to deal with them. My best friend Katie will be in town tomorrow, so I have a very small window for finishing garage sale things because I haven't seen her since Christmas! I cannot wait to see her!

So, I received my very first mean instagram comment from a stranger on Tuesday.
"What didnt get botox"

At first I laughed, because the idea that someone I don't know would ever comment on my little instagram page, especially to be rude, was just absurd. But then, the hurt started to set in. I am so soft skinned. I know that in internet land you have to thicken your skin a little, but I still hurt pretty easy. I am all for speaking your mind, or dealing with problems you have with people, but when someone you don't know is mean, it's a little tougher to deal with. This comment wasn't even exactly that hateful, it just brought out all of the insecurities I have about myself. I have a big nose{thank you Grandpa} and I have puffy cheeks and a weirdly larger bottom lip than top lip. I definitely haven't had botox{yet}. I am just a puffy lady. It has taken a lot of courage to post photos of myself. I still deal with body image issues. I don't need others to point out my flaws, I point them out every day to myself. When I stop to really think about the comment though, it was probably a 14 year old kid, just being a 14 year old jerk. It still doesn't stop that sting though. 

How do you deal with mean comments? 

All My Love,
Meg



14 comments:

  1. I'm going to go with that user is probably someone who is jealous that you ran 10 miles and they need to find something to hate on. sorrryyy not sorry. Plus, haters = celeb status haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girrllll, you know just what to say!
      I can't let this fame go to my head, hahahaha!

      Delete
  2. OMG! I am not cool enough to get negative comments. Look, you've made it! No, seriously I'm not sure what goes through people's minds! EW! Have you seen those "mean tweets to stars" video clips where famous people read the meanest things people tweet about them. I love that you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up "mean tweets to stars" - HILARIOUS! That sure makes me feel better about my one rude comment. It's so easy to write mean things about people when you can hide behind a computer to do so.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hanging out today with us! What a turd! Girl, just laugh it off and know that the little dweeb is probably very jealous that they aren't as awesome as you. Have a good Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I love you ladies!
      Thanks so much! I am really hoping it was a pre-teen and not someone who should really know better. Hope you have a fantastic day Kelly!

      Delete
  4. That's the worst. I'm lucky I haven't had any mean comments but if I did I would be pretty hurt as well. I'm sure the person who did it looks like a troll!! So there!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely caught off guard by it for sure! Thanks for the love Brittany!

      Delete
  5. I found your blog through runs for cookies. Your humor and love for your children shine out in every post. Please do not let idiots ruin your day/image/thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thank you so much for reading! I love Katie at Runs For Cookies!
      I sure am trying not to let it get to me too much. Again, thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Whatever happened to that saying, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all!"? People are rude. Ignore them (easier said than done). Funny thing though, you listed your flaws and I went back and looked at your picture again and saw NONE of them. We are our own worst critics. Stopping by from the link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the queen of keeping my mouth shut, hahaha! I guess I just assume people will have the same courtesies. Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  7. I am seconding what Anne said. Girl people are just ridiculous and they say these things all hidden behind their computer or phone. I am learning to just let it go with a grain of salt. At the end of the day you will probably never meet this person - and they are probably so miserable with themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to be brave behind a computer screen, but i'd like to see that punk say mean things to me in person! Hahaha. You are totally right. The whole thing just happened at the perfect moment to really get under my skin. Thanks lady!

      Delete

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!