Sunday, March 2, 2014

The best crockpot venison steak and garlicky oven roasted carrots.

I think that I am going to become a meteorologist. I would get paid to guess what might happen with the weather. "There is a 45% chance that we might have some form of precipitation in the next 2 weeks." Sounds about right to me. Poor weather people, I know they are doing their best. 

Today we were stuck at home waiting on the fake weather. I got caught up on some chores and got a good run in, but I am stir crazy. I am ready for a library trip Tuesday or Wednesday. The Littles are probably ready for one too. We didn't make it out last week and Pickle is ready for some new books and to play with the trains. Bugs will probably just be excited to push the elevator button, but I am okay with that. 

Around 4:00PM I needed a pick me up, so I made a cup of Cinnamon Tempest tea from Trader Joe's. 
Not only is it fantastic, but the tin is just seven kinds of adorable. Being from Jefferson City, we do not have a TJ's, so I have to plan all trips we take around stopping at one for the essentials. I love their coconut oil spray. Mom and I are actually planning a trip to St. Louis on the 15th to hit up Crate and Barrel and Trader Joe's. It's the little things in life, isn't it? 







Tonight for dinner I made THE BEST venison steak, low(er) calorie mashed potatoes and roasted carrots. If you are scared of cooking with venison, don't be! It is so lean and so delicious. One whole deer steak in this recipe was 180 calories and it is so tender and flavorful. I don't have a fancy camera and I am not a photographer, so none of the photos look that pretty, but it is SO GOOD! 


The BEST crockpot venison steaks
180 calories per steak

1 pound cubed venison steak - about 4 pieces{I shot my deer myself. It tastes better when you worked for it :)}
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can Campbell's Beef Consume soup
                                            1 whole onion, sliced

Season both sides of the steaks with seasonings. Spray a skillet with nonstick spray. Brown steaks on both sides. Place in the bottom of your crockpot. Lay sliced onion on top of the steaks. Pour the beef consume over everything. Set your crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with potatoes, rice, cauliflower or anything your heart desires. I would have made mashed cauliflower, but we were out of cauliflower.  

I also made our favorite carrots. 

Garlicky oven roasted carrots
serves 4

1 small bag of baby carrots
1 tbsp EVOO
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss carrots and olive oil together. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the carrots are fork-tender. Once tender, toss with seasonings and serve.  

As you know{or maybe you don't} we are still in the process of making our new house a home. Matt has a mile long list of honey-do chores. He has already replaced the downstairs faucet and today he replaced the upstairs faucet. It looks so nice! Next up is a new kitchen faucet! We joke that he should have been a plumber instead of an engineer since I am forever asking him to work on one of our sinks. He's a pretty handy guy to have around! 

All My Love, 
Meg









2 comments:

  1. My dad is always trying to get me to cook venison, but the thought has always put me off. But maybe I will give this a try! I love trying new foods, but I remember disliking venison as a kid.

    The carrots sound fantastic! Will definitely make those, since I've been trying to get in more veggies every day :)

    I don't have a Trader Joe's anywhere near me, either, and I'm always jealous when I see all the good finds that people pick up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never ate venison growing up except for deer jerky, but when I started dating Matt, who is a big hunter, I was introduced to it. I hated it at first! It took me a lot of kitchen disasters to come up with some recipes that I really enjoyed, and this is definitely one of them.

    I had only ever read about Trader Joe's on other blogs, but we took a trip to Chicago in December and I insisted that we stop at one. I am so sad we don't have one closer to us, but it is worth the trip. They have so much good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!