Monday, February 24, 2014

love your enemies.

I can hold a grudge. I mean, like seriously hold a grudge. I am looking at you kid at the Taking Back Sunday concert in '04 who kept elbowing me in the head. I will never forget your face when I asked you to stop, twice. I will also never forget your face, when on the third time, I leaned in and bit you{calm down, it wasn't that hard} on your arm right above that stupid elbow you kept shoving into my head. I asked you nicely twice. When you couldn't respect me, I stopped respecting you. I can only take so many elbows to the head before I snap.
Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I am opinionated and loud. They know that I would do just about anything for people I love. I am the best person to have in your corner. They also know that once I am broken, it is incredibly hard to put me back together enough to ever stand in your corner again.
So now that you know a little about me, let's talk about forgiveness. I am the worst at forgiveness. I cannot fathom how I am supposed to forgive someone not just seven times, but seventy times seven. Who screws up that much? And if they are messing up that often, why are you still hanging out with them?
The Lord, however, knows that forgiveness is not easy, but necessary. Forgiveness isn't even as much about the person you are forgiving, but your own heart. Forgiveness doesn't even mean that you have a relationship with the person you are forgiving. You can't have a relationship with a person who will not acknowledge their behavior and make changes, but you can let go of the anger. You can pray for them. You can ask the Lord to bless them anyway.
Is forgiveness easy? Absolutely not. It is like climbing Mount Everest barefoot. It is painful and unsteady. It can hurt worse than whatever transgression has a hold on your soul, but it is worth every step.
Will I ever receive an apology? Probably not. Does that bother me? Yes, but what am I going to do? Pout? No thank you. I will pray instead. Pray for the people who are walking a difficult path in life. Pray for the people who need to tear people down to raise themselves up. Pray that you realize how much it hurts to be talked about to other people you love. Pray that you look inward to find answers. I also hope you know that I apologize for my words to you. A person can only take so much "elbowing in the head" before they break, but I mean that as a matter of fact, not an excuse. I also pray that you find peace and security in your own heart.

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them that spitefully use you and persecute you." Matthew 5:44

This is my Lenten journey this year, opening my stubborn heart to forgiveness. I will pray for you each day until the anger and resentment dissolves and instead there is only peace. Once more, with feeling- Let it Be.
All My Love(to my enemies as well)
     Meg

2 comments:

  1. Praying for your enemies is easier said than done for me personally! My husband's ex has been so hateful and conniving over the years and it takes every ounce of me to do the "right thing" in so many of our situations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand! There are a couple of people that I would rather punch in the face instead of talk to them. {forgiveness isn't my specialty, I'm just trying harder at it, haha} I like that forgiveness is mostly about your own heart. You can't have relationships with people who are crappy and won't change, but you can pray that they stop being stupid :)

      Delete

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!