Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Conquering the plateau and crunchy roasted chickpeas

I am working on my Easter decorations for this year and I have never been so glad for Winter to be ending{despite the fact that there is snow in this weekends forecast...ugh}. This has been the longest, coldest Winter that I can ever remember and I will not be sad to say goodbye. 

Today was a really low key day at the Weber household. After breakfast, we lounged and played and didn't even change out of our jammies until right before lunch. Bugs is starting to talk so much. At lunch the Littles just talked and talked to each other about their mac and cheese and how much they love their cousin-friends. Adorable! 

After lunch I hopped on the treadmill and ran 3 miles. I was so into an episode of Buffy, that my run went by super fast. After my run I was absolutely starving. I made myself a quick snack of a low cal, whole wheat waffle, tablespoon of natural peanut butter and half of a sliced, frozen banana, sprinkled with cinnamon. It was fantastic. I am so used to keeping my snacks to 150 calories or less, but since I upped my calorie intake, my snacks have been around 250 calories. It makes me anxious, but I am learning to reevaluate the way I eat{again}.
I am a calorie counter and I will probably have to count my calories for the rest of my life. It helps keep me accountable and limits my grazing because I count everything that goes into my mouth. It also helps keep me from binge eating. That being said, I previously had a calorie limit of 1200 calories. That was fine while I was heavier and really needing to focus on correct portions and healthy choices. Now that I have mastered the art of cleaner eating, 1200 calories just wasn't cutting it for the amount of activity I do each day. My weight loss plateaued and I was bingeing more and more after months of  keeping my binge eating to a minimum. I upped my calorie intake to 1450 and I feel so much better. I broke through the weight loss plateau and I have much more energy throughout the day. I had such a mindset that more calories = fat. I know that isn't true, but as a former fat girl, being fat terrifies me. Luckily I know that I am eating healthy calories and not junk. I am fueling my body, not poisoning it and that eases my fears. 

Speaking of healthy,  have you seen the recipes floating around for roasted chickpeas? I have seen them everywhere lately and I read that they resembled healthier corn nuts. Hello, yes please!
After dinner this evening I cracked open can of chickpeas I had on hand and whipped up this simple recipe



Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas
110 calories per half cup

1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Spread out the chickpeas on the pan and spray with nonstick spray {I used Coconut Oil spray}. Sprinkle chickpeas with seasonings and toss together. Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring chickpeas every ten minutes. Enjoy!


















The chickpeas turned out amazing! They are crunchy, savory and low calorie, definitely one of my new favorite things. 

What is your favorite low calorie snack? 

All My Love, 
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!