Saturday, February 15, 2014

5K race and a cabbage recipe{don't knock it til you try it}


I don't think I have ever been more cold in my life than I was at the Sweetheart Run this morning. I couldn't feel my toes after the first mile and I was absolutely positive that I was going to hurt myself and have no idea until I thawed out later. Luckily, my feet and I survived. I even set a new personal record! Since it was a Valentine's Day race Matt and I ran together and crossed the finish line at the exact same time. It was pretty cute. We had a really great time.

After the race we checked out a couple of Columbia's thrift stores.{It is Thrift Store Saturday after all} Matt found a fantastic pair of vintage dress shoes for $2 and I scored a new Pyrex casserole dish, with lid, for $5. It was fun to check out some new places. Post thrifting, we headed back to Jeff City for some well deserved Arris' Pizza{and Greek salad, which is the best} and then picked up the Littles from my Parent's house. They had so much fun with Grandma and Papa even though they weren't feeling the best. Pickle's cold has moved on to Buggy and they are snotty messes. As of now they are both medicated, smothered in Vick's Rub, tucked into elevated beds and will hopefully be feeling much better tomorrow.

Since we had pizza for lunch I wanted to make a light dinner, so I reached for one of my favorite recipes. If you don't like cabbage, try this recipe! It will change your mind forever!



Braised Cabbage and Kielbasa
makes 4,  hearty 1 cup servings at 257 calories each.

1 medium head of cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1pkg turkey kielbasa, no skin (I use Aldi's Fit and Active), sliced on the diagonal 
1 TBSP coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
1/4 cup chicken broth(again, I use Aldi's Fit and Active)
1 TBSP white vinegar

Melt the coconut oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the sliced onion and saute until translucent. Add cabbage and continue to saute about 5 minutes. Add Kielbasa, chicken broth and vinegar. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and there is some color on the cabbage, about 30 minutes. 

I typically serve this with fresh fruit on the side. If you're looking for something heartier, this is great served on mashed potatoes or baked sweet potatoes too. Give it a try!

               All My Love,
                     Meg



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay and chat with me! I LOVE hearing from you!